Most children in India have grown up hearing about wheatgrass juice benefits.
What is wheatgrass juice?
No. It is not your average garden grass.
Wheatgrass is the freshly sprouted leaf of the common wheat plant, used as a food, drink, or dietary supplement.
The juice extracted from this leaf is known as wheatgrass juice.
How to make wheatgrass juice?
There are three steps to make wheatgrass juice.
- Take around 75g of wheatgrass.
- Put it in the blender along with a swig of water
- Blend on high drink
Some things to take care of while making wheatgrass juice:
- Don’t let it sit for too long. It will form sedimentation particles of chunky fiber at the bottom. You won’t enjoy gulping that down.
- Keep it away from your pets. Most animals will immediately throw up after consuming, due to a mechanical response of the stomach to irritation ( owing to high fiber)
How much wheatgrass juice to drink daily?
The best way to start drinking wheatgrass juice with just a 1/2 shot (30ml) – then slowly increase this to 50ml.
You could also begin by adding the wheatgrass juice to other recipes, so it is ‘diluted’ and smaller amounts.
When to drink wheatgrass juice?
The best time to drink wheatgrass juice is on an empty stomach.
After drinking, ideally wait for 10-15 minutes before consuming anything else.
4 key benefits of wheatgrass juice
Better Thyroid Management
Regular consumption of wheatgrass helps stimulate the thyroid gland. This helps release the thyroid hormone. Activating thyroid may help by boosting metabolism and improving weight loss.
Wheatgrass is high in antioxidants. High content of antioxidant enzymes like superoxide dismutase and cytochrome oxidase have capacity to convert free radicals like reactive oxygen species to hydrogen peroxide and oxygen molecules.
This helps to fight cancer cells and prevent the formation of tumors in the body.
Good for skin
Wheatgrass is rich in amino acids. These amino acids help to strengthen the skin barrier, maintain moisture retention, and protect against free radical damage. It can benefit the skin in two ways:
- Applied externally, either directly on face, or with a face mask. It helps:
- Provide moisture to skin
- Reduce pimples and acne
- Consumed as a morning drink. It helps:
- Detoxify your body, giving you a glowing skin
- curing skin disease like eczema and psoriasis
- removes scars or blemishes
Good for cardiovascular and lung health
Wheatgrass is a great source of chlorophyll. This chlorophyll prevents respiratory distress due to its highly anti-oxidative properties. This helps with maintaining cardiovascular health and lung health.
The main side effect of wheatgrass juice
Despite the numerous benefits, wheatgrass juice comes with one main side effect.
Improper washing may lead to bacterial contamination
Unlike fruits, wheatgrass is grown in the soil or water and usually consumed raw. This means there is a high likelihood of bacteria and mold. That’s why pregnant and nursing women are strongly advised to avoid any form of wheatgrass juice.
Some people also get nausea, headaches and constipation after consumption.
How much does jamun juice cost?
A bottle of ready made wheatgrass juice costs around 300/- INR on an average.
Making it at home can be a better way. Their price will be almost the same. However, there are some other benefits as well.
Here’s the math:
1 kg wheatgrass costs around = Rs. 260/-
With around 300g fresh wheatgrass , you can get= 200 ml wheatgrass juice.
This means, 1kg of wheatgrass can give you: 667 ml juice.
Therefore, 1 L homemade juice can cost you: Rs. 300.
That means, 1.5 l of diluted wheatgrass juice costs you only Rs. 300!
If you manage to grow a plant at home, it will only cost you a one time investment of around Rs.400.
After that, you have free wheatgrass juice for life!
Other beneficial factors are:
- No tension of preservatives!
- You get fresh juice every time
- You can adjust the taste as per your liking!
- Add lemon or sweetener if it’s too bitter for you. Some sweeteners we recommend you for their mineral content are- jaggery syrup, honey, unmilled sugar.
However, despite the benefits, there are many drawbacks of making wheatgrass juice at home:
- Wheatgrass is not locally available in many parts of india. Sourcing it can be quite a hassle.
- Extra labor for making the juice
- Necessity of a blender, since other methods will be extremely inconvenient.
- Cutting wheatgrass can be quite tricky. Hence, beginners need to be extra careful to prevent wounds and cuts.
If you wish to buy yourself a bottle of wheatgrass juice, here are some market options:
|Kapiva Ayurveda Juice||Rs. 417||1L|
|Baidyanath Wheatgrass Juice||Rs. 220||1L|
|Mint Veda Juice||Rs. 315||1L|
|Stem Veda Juice||Rs. 385||1L|
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you apply wheatgrass directly on face?
Yes, you can.
Wheatgrass has many proven benefits of the same. Some of them include:
- Glowing skin
- Reduction of blemishes
- Prevention of premature aging
- Prevention of acne
However, being slightly acidic in nature, it can cause irritation and redness in some.
To stay on the safe side, always do a test on your hand 48 hours before you apply it on your face to check for any allergic reactions.